Friday, November 13, 2009

Letter to Editor of LA Times published on 11/1/09

Your well written article re cancellations of hotel reservations was right on point. As an attorney I've certainly made it a prerequisite to view the relevant cancellation provisions on websites and in written documents.

One point, however, should be noted. As rigid and clear as some of the provisions may be, there is still, thankfully, a human factor that should not be ignored.

My wife and I recently had planned a trip to NYC and bought "non refundable" tickets via Telecharge to some Broadway shows. We also had used United miles to book our flight with a "penalty" applicable if we cancelled the trip and had to put the miles back into our accounts.

I had to undergo emergency surgery about 2 weeks prior to the commencement of the trip and could not travel as planned. Cancelling the hotel was simple because of Marriott's rather flexible policy. I contacted Telecharge and explained what happened and why I could not travel to NY.d. The Customer Service representative with whom I spoke, after checking with her supervisor, told me that if I sent back all of the tickets by overnight delivery, Telecharge would refund the cost of the tickets to my credit card account. Also, a United representative said that, with a doctor's note explaining what occurred, United would waive the $300.00 in administrative costs for putting the miles back into the accounts. I did what was requested and both entities refunded or waived the respective costs and charges.

It's nice to know that understanding people can override harsh rules when appropriate circumstances warrant it.

No comments:

Post a Comment