Friday, December 22, 2017

The Shape of Water



“The Shape of Water” is a film conceived and directed by Guillermo del Toro and stars Sally Hawkins, Michael Stuhlbarg, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins and Octavia Spenser .This is a difficult film to review and rate because it requires the viewer to make a huge leap of faith and  to “just go with it” even though the plot and some of the scenes defy reality. Although Mr. del Toro may have had a strong message to deliver, this cold war version of the lighter film “Splash” (with Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah)  doesn’t communicate it well. I found it difficult for the audience to get lost in it and truly believe what is occurring on the screen. The film is over 2 hours in length and even though I never looked at my watch, I was very conscious of its duration. I give the film 2 stars with special acknowledgment to Mr. Jenkins who can’t perform badly, regardless of the vehicle he is in.

No comments:

Post a Comment