Saturday, November 12, 2016

Arrival

“Arrival” stars Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner and Forest Whitaker in this sci-fi drama written by  Eric Heisserer based on a novel by Ted Chiang (“The Story of Your Life”). The film was directed by Denis Villanueve who, together with the writer and the editor, if there was one, must take full responsibility for the 2 hours I wasted watching their product. The movie is slow, confusing and complicated and the scenes float back in time and place without ever clearly indicating what was intended by its creative team. Ms. Adams can do no wrong for she is a talented actor but somehow she got placed in this amateurish attempt at a modern day “ET”. The film is not only a disservice to Ms. Adams’ talent but to the audience that must suffer through the picture  as well. I must have looked at my watch at least 5X during the course of the film and, in so doing,  found the hands on my timepiece more interesting that that which was being projected on to the screen. What amazes me most is that so many professional critics found this movie to be worthy of their highest rating, again proving that being paid for an opinion doesn’t mean it has value. I give this film a one star rating and if I hadn’t been in the company of my wife and friends, I would have walked out of the theater mid way through it. The only recommendation I can make about this film is to respectfully suggest to Ms. Adams that she  hire a new talent agent..

No comments:

Post a Comment