Saturday, July 14, 2012

“Beasts of the Southern Wild” is a drama/fantasy as seen through the eyes of a 6 year old who lives with her father and others in this Southern Louisiana community amidst and after the fury of Hurricane Katrina. First director Benh Zeitlin who co-wrote the film with Lucy Alibar seeks to capture life in this G-d forsaken life style in which Hush Puppy, the name of the 6 year old’s character in the film, attempts to cope with life in the swamp and Delta. Extraordinary is the performance of  Quvenzhane Wallis, who plays Hush Puppy, and that is probably the only reason to view the film. Intermittent drama, fantasy, prehistoric animals and melting ice packs make this a very uncomfortable movie to watch and for this reviewer, earns it 1 and ½ stars, most of which go to Ms. Wallis. I went to this film anticipating really great artistry and good craft (the reviews were so good). Unfortunately the film was not good and, as I squirmed in my seat and watched it, I thought I would endure it since it was only 91 minutes in length. I was wrong. I looked at my watch almost as many times as I looked at the screen. Whether it was something I ate previous to attending the theater, the handheld camera jumping up and down,  or both, I got ‘”see-sick” as the flood waters filled the screen. One Pepto Bismol and three Tums tablets later, I still couldn’t lay the blame to either so I’ll blame both causes for my visual and stomach upset and my mistake in following the recommendations of the so-called “film gurus”.

No comments:

Post a Comment