Friday, July 1, 2011

Terri

“Terri” is the movie I chose to see after cancelling my tickets for “Larry Crowne”. I had read such bad things about the new Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts film that I thought “Terri” would be a much better choice. Oh, my, was I wrong. “Terri” stars John C. Reilly and Jacob Wysocki, was written by Patrick DeWitt and directed by Azard Jacobs. This is a slow moving , tedious to watch, dull and uninspiring picture that seems to be the “in” film among the more supposedly knowledgeable critics. Just as “The Road” a few years ago earned such negative comments, the lobby at the local theater was filled with very dissatisfied viewers who, like me, couldn’t understand how a film like this could ever have been made. Yes, the pseudo-intellectuals will find something here but, like a Rorschach ink test, the blots are only blots until the imaginative viewer reads something into them. The director and one of the stars of the film were present in the theater to talk to the audience and engage in a “ Q & A” when the film ended. The question I would have asked, had I stayed is “Why did you make this film” and, also, “What did I do to deserve a waste of 105 precious Friday night minutes’. There is no depth or dimension to any of the characters so the viewer has no interest in what befalls them and since nothing really does, the issue is moot. I suggest that you save your money and use it on internet sales taxes. I guess I should have been forewarned for any writer that can’t spell “Terri” correctly can’t do much else including, specifically, writing a decent screenplay. Tom and Julia, I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment