Thursday, February 24, 2011

Barney"s Version

“Barney’s Version” was written by Michael Konyves based on the novel by Mordecai Richler (“Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz”, et.al). The film with locations in both Italy and Canada stars Paul Giamatti, Minnie Driver, Rosamund Pike and Dustin Hoffman (with his son, Jake, playing the grandson of Mr. Huffman’s character in the film). Utilizing all of its 2 hours and 12 minutes to tell its story, this is a quality film that, for me, was quite enjoyable to view. Wonderfully directed by Richard J. Lewis, the movie moves along at a smooth pace and tells this warm and endearing story about the life of Mr. Giamatti’s character, Barney Panofsky. I came to the film forewarned by some who didn’t like the film although there were many who did.. I also came to the film with a less than enthusiastic attitude since, although a fine actor, I just never enjoy watching Mr. Giamatti. With all of those shackles and burdens weighing heavily on me, I nevertheless found the film to be totally worthwhile and a rewarding theatrical experience. I give the film 3 stars with special kudos to Rosamund Pike whose classic and elegant demeanor is a thing of beauty to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment