Saturday, May 15, 2010

Exit Through the Gift Shop

“Exit Through the Gift Shop” is a strange documentary about the evolution and use of street art. Directed by Banksy, the elusive street artist, it shows the evolution of a fan who later becomes Mr. Brainwash, another street artist. The film could have recited its entire story (if there is one) in less than 15 minutes but unfortunately takes about an hour and one half to tell. The main character of the film is a Frenchman named Thierry Guetta
who is as unappealing as he is dull and, as I perceive him, an unsympathetic character that dominates too much of the footage. The couple next to me left in the middle of the film and, looking back, I realize how wise they were. There is an old adage that because a theater has my money doesn’t mean they have to have my time. My wife begged me to leave several times during the viewing of the film (would you believe 7X). Unfortunately my refusal to leave was rewarded by having to admit she was right. I’m not going to rate this film because it is isn’t worthy of the effort. What is most interesting is how the critics have responded to this film and, like so many pseudo intellectuals, seem to find the positives in this negative (no pun intended) experience

No comments:

Post a Comment