Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oh My God

“Oh My God” is a 98 minute documentary filmed in almost every continent of the world seeking answers to the questions; "What, Who, Where and Is There a God?”. Written, produced and directed by Peter Rodger, it is an ambitious effort that somehow doesn’t quite make the mark. With beautifully photographed scenes of cultures, peoples and places all over the world, the film looks more like activated pages from a National Geographic magazine and, like magazine paper, is only two dimensional. Although Mr. Rodger’s travels may have taken much longer, the film could easily have edited out 60 of its 98 minutes and still have given us the same result. I fell asleep twice (probably more except for the wake-up elbow of my spouse) and I found squirming and restlessness to be my other companions. I give this documentary 1 and ½ stars for this overlong experience into the mystery of religion and the nature of the Supreme Being. When all is said and done, the film confirms that there are many names, concepts and views of our Maker and, as someone wisely once said, “an atheist is a person without any invisible means of support“.

No comments:

Post a Comment